Ben Johnston has spent more than 15 years developing businesses, consulting on digital strategy and identifying market gaps and future trends. He’s founded and co-founded some hugely successful companies including digital ventures studio Josephmark (JM), motion design company Breeder, indigenous creative agency Gilimbaa and trending music platform We Are Hunted, which was acquired by Twitter in 2012.
In this episode we discuss what the future of work could look like, working with performance coaches and designing smart spaces.
We also dive into the venture studio model and how Josephmark is reimagining and redesigning the traditional agency model and corporate structures.
Ben shares some valuable insights on how JM decides on which start-ups to partner with and their framework for validating concepts and determining product/market fit. And provides some great advice for founders looking to build successful digital products.
Learn more about Josephmark.
Follow Ben on Twitter.
Ben’s spent more than a decade developing businesses, consulting on digital strategy, identifying market gaps and future trends. He’s founded and co-founded many successful companies, including digital ventures studio Josephmark (JM), motion design company Breeder, indigenous creative agency Gilimbaa and trending music platform We Are Hunted, which was acquired by Twitter in 2012. As JM’s Founder, Ben leads a team who consistently create and launch innovative digital products like Australian startup chart Vest, catch-up news platform Hash and social music discovery site Undrtone. He’s become an influential figure within Australia’s creative and business communities, and his fearlessness in pushing the envelope has culminated in the truly entrepreneurial business that Josephmark is known for.
- Ben’s favourite brand – Patagonia
- Ventures he’s founded and what he’s most proud of
- High performance teams and having a coach for their team
- The future of work and creating “smart spaces”
- Co-ops vs. traditional corporate structures
- Partnering with clients on new ventures
- Sharing co-investing with the team
- Deciding on which start-ups to invest in
- Their selection process
- The venture or start-up studio model
- Undrtone app: Discovering music tastemakers
- Clipchamp: In browser video editing platform
- What it takes for startups to reach the next level
- Advice for Founders
- How they test ventures for product market fit
- Minimum Viable Brands (MVB)
- The difference between traditional design studios and venture studios
- Co-Founding the bar – ‘The End’ in Brisbane’s West End
- What Ben does away from work.